Recently we were asked to review a Sky Dancer from
Character Options and I couldn't wait for my girls to play with it! When my sister and I were growing up in the nineties, she had a Sky Dancer and I absolutely loved it. Sky Dancers were a huge hit in the nineties, I remember watching video tapes and even Sky Dancer toys being available in McDonalds Happy Meals! I was delighted to see that they have made a come back!
Sky Dancers are magical fairies that soar up to three meters high from their sturdy flower launchers. There are four different fairies to collect and we received Jade, the dragonfly fairy! All four Sky Dancers are available
here for £14.99 each.
We have had a lot of fun trying out our Sky Dancer Jade. The Sky Dancer is a doll with foam wings, she launches in to the air from a pull-chord base and spins up to three meters high. I was surprised by how easy the Sky Dancer is to use. The base is comfortable to hold and the doll is easy to attach to base. The fairy launches so quickly into the air the girls love trying to catch her float down.
Although the Sky Dancers provide a lot of fun, I was surprised to see how dated she looked. Her face is almost exactly as I remember it looking in the nineties and compared to modern dolls she's anything but pretty! The stickers on the inside of her wings weren't attached well and her foam wings were creased and dented before she had even left the box! As well as her cosmetic flaws we also experienced some problems whilst playing with her and found that more often than not her chord struggled to pull out of the base. I initially thought I was maybe tugging it too lightly or too quickly, but no matter how the chord is pulled, after a few good flies, the chord mechanism seems clunky and stuck!
Overall we really have had a lot of fun with the fairy. She definitely soars up to the three meters as advertised and is so incredibly easy to use. The Sky Dancers are recommended for ages 5+ but I think they would be great for preschool children also, as the base is easy to hold and there's no struggle in matching up the fairy and base! Even with our minor problems I truly do feel the Sky Dancers are a great toy for less than £15 and I'm interested to see if they're around in another fifteen years, maybe even with a more modern style!
To find out more about Sky Dancers or any other product from Character, here are the links:
 |
| There's 4 to collect - Jade, Jasmine, Angelica and Camille |
 |
| Similar face to the nineties! |
 |
| Clear instructions |
 |
| Sturdy base |
 |
| Creased wings |
 |
| Stickers not attached properly |
 |
| Squint sticker |
 |
| Dragonfly launcher |
 |
| Easy to connect |
 |
| Spinning, ready to launch |
 |
| and away she goes |